The Collectif Arc-en-Ciel (CAEC) is requesting proposals for a licensed Counsellor to align with the requirements of “Mental health support through counselling to the parents of LGBTQ+ persons to enhance knowledge and empowerment towards inclusion” Project, funded by the MCB Forward Foundation.
Contract Starting Date: As soon as possible
Application Deadline: 27 January 2023
The service of a Counsellor is required to provide online and face to face counselling sessions with parents of LGBTQ+ persons, to provide support and to educate them about sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and sex characteristics (SOGIESC).
There exist several issues and concerns regarding the LGTBQIA+ community in Mauritius, including homophobia – as reported by verbal or online threat cases, financial insecurity, and inadequate access to mental and physical health facilities and safety. With this project the CAEC wants the LGBTQ+ persons and their parents to comfortably avail to mental health services, without judgement and with a high sense of security. This will be made possible through the CAEC’s continuous efforts to improve facilities and support for the Community and the marginalized identities in the Mauritian society and their parents.
Minimum Job Requirement/ Qualifications and training required
- Completed degree(s) in the field of counselling and/or psychology from an accredited
- Fluent in Kreole, English and French;
- Evidence of professional and ethical conduct;
- Established track record of experience in working with individuals with mental health difficulties
in Mauritius; and
- Able to organize and prioritise work demands to meet deadlines with minimum supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides counseling to beneficiaries and families as appropriate to the position; prepares plans
and programs as per the requirement; provides therapeutic crisis intervention and emergency
services as required.
- Collects data about beneficiaries through case history and/or observational techniques;
evaluates data to identify causes of problems and to determine proper therapeutic approach or
referral to other specialists.
- Provides casework management of a specialized caseload, as appropriate to the requirements of
the individual position.
- Provides and/or arranges for therapeutic interventions as appropriate for patients or clients in a
crisis condition and for those with serious disturbance problems.
- Consults with the CAEC’s service provider/ psychologist, in the performance of therapeutic
and/or casework; refers clients to appropriate service agencies as required; liaise and form links
with community health services, the police and other agencies
- Participates in, leads, and/or coordinates training sessions and workshops to enhance treatment
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
The appointed service provider will report to the Project Coordinator.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to send their curriculum vitae and a letter of motivation by email to [email protected] or in hardcopies to the CAEC’s Office at Darwin Avenue, Quatre Bornes, Mauritius by Friday 27 January 2022 at 15hrs.
The email subject should be: Counsellor / (1 of 2023) _SURNAME (for e.g. Counsellor / (1 of 2023) _SMITH) and/or envelope should clearly mention Counsellor / (1 of 2023) _SURNAME.
The CAEC has the right to call only shortlisted candidates for interviews. Candidates might asked to
provide of proof of qualifications and/or other relevant documents.